Thursday, November 14, 2013

Poetry lesson

Overall, I think the lesson went well.  I could have changed a lot of things to make it better (which I will get to) but overall the students were paying attention and with only one exception, all did the work and paid attention to the lesson.  Although at first I wasn't sure about teaching poetry(especially after my conversation with Amy), it turned out to really work out and the kids enjoyed an opportunity to be creative.

What went well -
The fact that the class was paying attention (or were good at pretending) most of the time.  The students were excited about writing their own poetry and were calling myself and Mrs. Dickinson over constantly. 
I did what I planned to do and adjusted when the conversation/discussion led a different direction.  For example, when students didn't know what a haiku was or syllables or rhyming or symbolism or consonance, I adjusted each time, making sure that students were understanding and all students were included.  I did well to adjust to the fact that the three boys that go to the resource room were in the classroom.  I made sure to stop by them and help them with their poetry.  The fact that one of them was really angry at me for not letting him go to the Resource Room (she was in a meeting) and he got mad and yelled at me telling me I am not a 'real teacher'.  Once he went into the classroom, I did not have major problems with him other than having to redirect him at times and making sure he wasn't talking.

What I could have improved -
-The first thing I could have changed to improve my lesson is my little quip on symbolism and consonance.  The reasoning behing introducing it was to make sure that my students who are higher achieving would be challenged and I could have something tangible to tell them to work on.  Unfortunately, None of the students knew what symbolism, concrete or abstract meant so that was a dud.  While teaching this to the class, I realized I was wasting my time because these lessons would have to be individual lessons "what is symbolism? name a symbol.  Is this concrete or abstract?'  but I couldn't just abruptly go away from it and lose the flow of the lesson.  So I let it go as long as I thought was tolerable before moving on.
-Also, How have they not done Haiku poetry before?  That blows my mind.  I should have asked them and had a better idea of what I was about to teach them.  That was my mistake and I would have changed my whole intro if I had realized I was introducing something completely new to them.  But alas, I am human.
-I did not handle some funny answers or bad attitudes from students well.  I kinda just ignored them to keep the flow of the lesson.  This was calculated on my part to make sure that I taught my lesson, not disciplined students the entire time.  I did not feel the need to use the name/check method because the students, despite imperfections, were more or less on their best behavior.dud.  While teaching this to the class, I realized I was wasting my time because these lessons would have to be individual lessons "what is symbolism? name a symbol.  Is this concrete or abstract?'  but I couldn't just abruptly go away from it and lose the flow of the lesson.  So I let it go as long as I thought was tolerable before moving on.this concrete or abstract?'  but I couldn't just abruptly go away from it and lose the flow of the lesson.  So I let it go as long as I thought was tolerable before moving on.
-Also, How have they not done Haiku poetry before?  That blows my mind.  I should have asked them and had a better idea of what I was about to teach them.  That was my mistake and I would have changed my whole intro if I had realized I was introducing something completely new to them.  But alas, I am human.
-I did not handle some funny answers or bad attitudes from students well.  I kinda just ignored them to keep the flow of the lesson.  This was calculated on my part to make sure that I taught my lesson, not disciplined students the entire time.  I did not feel the need to use the name/check method because the students, despite imperfections, were more or less on their best behavior.
-I was wary of doing one as a group or showign too many examples as I was afraid they may have just copied what they read and not showed their creative spark (which they all have!).
-I had my hands in my pockets.  That was weird, I think it is somewhat a nervous habit.  I generally don't do that.  Not the best posture to have.
You know I am more critical with myself than I am with anyone else.  Overall, I think it went absolutely fine, I just needed to think things out a bit better and (heard this one before?) have a better classroom management plan to be able to deal with those little comments, side conversations, and bad attitudes more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment