Sunday, November 3, 2013

Guided Reading Lesson Reflection #1

After teaching each of the 2 lessons you handed in for instructor feedback, post a reflection on the lesson

based on the following questions. It is recommended that you complete these as soon as possible after

teaching each lesson while events are still fresh in your mind. These reflections are due no later than

November 14.

• What did students learn and which students struggled with the lesson?



For this lesson, we learned how to create text-to-text connections. Students learned that there were three requirements for each text connection: 1) students had to list which book they were connecting with, 2) list off which type of connection is this (setting, plot, character, etc.), and 3) describe the part of each story that students connected to. By presenting text connections this way, I provided students with clear requirements that they could accomplish for each of the three text connections that students needed. There were two students who struggled with creating connections. Both of the students said they did not know any stories that related the story. Previously, on text-to-self connections, the same two students had difficulties relating to the story. To remedy this, I worked one on one with each student and they managed to find their three daily connections.



• What are alternate reads (interpretations) of your students’ performance or products?

I could also judge students performance by observing their progress from the beginning to the end. Some students progress a lot by making more meaningful connections, while another student may find more connections. There were several students who already made meaningful and in depth connections from the beginning of my lessons. Perhaps for these students, I could have them find more connections rather than seek to increase the depth of their connections. For students who struggled with finding connections, perhaps finding more connections is more important than depth of the connections until students get used to discovering similarities between texts, themselves, and the world.

• What did you learn about your students’ literacy practices that extend beyond your objectives?

My original intention was to get students to comprehend and enjoy texts more. I learned which students read a lot in their spare time. Students who did not read often connected with common texts such as Jack and the Beanstalk. The students who read a lot referenced various books and texts at higher reading levels. Also, I was able to witness a wide range of connection depth. Some students made surface level connections (same names, etc.) while other students connected intricate plot sequences.

• When and how will you re-teach the material to students who need additional support?

I will re-teach and assist struggling students by working with them one on one. I will help students by scaffolding their text connections by referencing texts that the entire class has read. This ensures that these students will understand and remember the text that I am referencing. I will encourage students to make connections by mentioning details from both stories and seeing whether they can find a connection from given information.

• If you were to teach this same lesson again, what would you do differently and how do you think the changes would improve students’ learning?

If I was to teach this lesson again, I would make sure that I have created my own Reading Journal that includes at least 5 different examples of text-to-text connections. Some of my text connections would use books or stories we have read in our class, while others connections would be from books that I have personally read. I would also like to include examples of connections that include my three requirements that were listed above.

• What did you learn so far about implementing your ‘core practice’ and what do you need to do to
continue your professional learning?

I learned that students need a fair amount of time with each type of connection before they are able to understand the requirements and how to make meaningful connections. Some students picked up on "how" to make connections quickly, while others students took several days before they could make in depth connections. I will make sure to model each connection type each day and explain "why" these connections are meaningful. Next time I teach this lesson, I will make sure that I have a completed Reading Journal so that students know I am willing to make a journal and make the connections myself, as well as give students an example of what the journal should look like before they make theirs.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    Regarding your comment: "There were several students who already made meaningful and in depth connections from the beginning of my lessons. Perhaps for these students, I could have them find more connections rather than seek to increase the depth of their connections." I would argue that finding more is like doing all the math book problems because you CAN do them. Does that really help them grow academically? Instead, consider creating a small group of learners who analyze their connections. WHY do these connections matter? WHY are they meaningful? HOW do they carry over into the world, into life? HOW do they connect to each other in the book? Consider ways in which you can extend their learning rather than give them more work to do. This is differentiation.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete